PDA

View Full Version : "Tiger Stripe" Helmet covers?

Trench_raider
05-27-2003, 05:13 PM
As most of you already know, I wear a PASGT helmet in all my airsoft skirmishes. Right now I only have a black cover for it. However I am in the proccess of changing over to "Tiger Stripe" BDUs. Does anyone make or stock a Kevlar cover in tiger stripe?
I have looked all over and although I found a company who actually makes covers in 'tiger stripe", I have yet to find a retailer who carries one.

Thanks,
"Trench Raider"

Who rather dislikes "woodland" due to wanting to be different, and would simply bypass this problem by going with DPM or Flectarn if anyone made it in sizes big enough to fit his fat butt....:rolleyes:

Agrovale
05-27-2003, 09:06 PM
If you get one, I won't be saying 'Why is that black turtle sitting on top of that berm??? Oh, crap... Thats Trenchs head....' anymore. :p

Trench_raider
05-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Hehe!!:D

Yes, it does stand out a bit. I try to remember to rub some dirt into the cloth before taking the feild to help break up the outline, but even that doesn't always help.

But it could be worse. Back in my WW2 days I had a Stahlhelm that had an ealry war semi-gloss paint job. That thing drew fire like a magnet!! I finally got smart and replaced it with a later sand painted helmet.

Heh..it could be even worse than that. If the M1915 picklehaube in my avatar fit me, I could wear that! :p

"Trench Raider"
who is of course kidding as those things run between 3-400$ these days!

Dragon
05-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Buy a Tiger Stripe shirt and just cut out the back panel and use it as your helmet cover.

Have you tried www.silvermans.co.uk for large guy DPM? They usually have it.

Or try www.flektarn.co.uk they may have it/both.

Katana
05-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I was flipping through my new Ranger Joe's catalog yesterday and noted that they sell PASGT helmet covers in 'Advisor' Tiger Stripe. That's the wide stripes.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/catalog/selection.cfm?category=main&id=3076

However, you should be aware that some kind of an asymetrical camo pattern would suit you better all-around than tiger stripe. Tiger Stripe's pattern is generally horizontal which gives you a bit of a polarizing effect that stands out somehwhat. If you lay just right and the shadows are just right, they'll align with the pattern of the darker blobs, but at just about any other time of the day, they'll break up your outline (which is very good), but won't help you blend in to anything in particular (which isn't so good).

A lot of counter-strike kids over at Airsoft Zone used to sing the praises of Tiger, but I think that's because they're mostly fashion over substance.

Anyhow, I hope the link helps, and good luck with whatever you choose.

Jay
05-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Katana

A lot of counter-strike kids over at Airsoft Zone used to sing the praises of Tiger, but I think that's because they're mostly fashion over substance.

Another group sang the praises of it recently... the USMC. I believe Tiger was a finalist with MARPAT.

[Yeah, I'm sure it was advanced-tiger or something like that]

Katana
05-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Are you sure about that? I've only read about how Tiger is being replaced...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,132-181654,00.html

"Unlike the “tiger-stripe” design in use since 1980, the new Marine Pattern (Marpat) is a computer-generated blur of enlarged pixels."

"“The tiger-stripe had a bidirectional flow — the new Marpat has multi-directional flow,” Captain Burrell Parmer of the Marine Corps Systems Command at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, where the new uniform is being introduced, said. “If you were to look at a low-resolution photo and you increase its size so it gets more pixelated, that is how the uniform looks.” "

http://www.dcmilitary.com/navy/tester/7_02/national_news/13087-1.html

"The Corps plans to switch from the current "tiger stripe" pattern to the new "pixel" pattern over the next four years."

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/bdu.htm

"General patterns -- like the USA green BDU -- are a compromise to try to give some reduced detection in as many scenarios as possible. Specific patterns, like tree bark, work very well in very specific locations, but not as well generally. The camouflage pattern most familiar as Tiger Stripe was developed for US Special Forces during the Vietnam era (circa 1965) for jungle fighting. It is an adaptation of an earlier British design developed during the Malyasian confict in the 1950's. It is for ultra-close range (50 yards or less) fighting in heavily foliated jungle."

I still think that more people wear tiger stripe as a fashion statement than for any real camo value. It's just too specialized, and definitely not for our region of the world.

Trench_raider
05-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Katana
I still think that more people wear tiger stripe as a fashion statement than for any real camo value. It's just too specialized, and definitely not for our region of the world. [/B]

Although I would take issue with calling it a "fashion statement", I freely agree that my choice of camo is based more upon asthetics than upon utility.
My little informal airsoft group (Gary, his wife, Bill, and myself) wanted a pattern that really doesn't see that much use and would allow us to indetify each other rapidly in the field. Although we all have not managed to get a set, we settled on tiger.

After all, isn't apearances the name of the game in airsoft?

Furthermore, I have also been the sort to want to be a little diferent than the majority of players in any game I play. It's the reason I chose an "automag" over the heavilly favored "autococker" when I played paintball. And it's one of the reasons I carry an AUG and wear a helmet in the first place. ;)

I suppose if I were more interested in the utility of a camo pattern I could wear my WW2 Waffen SS "blurred edge" smock and helmet cover.
http://www.lssah.com/images/blurrededget1a.jpg
It would certainly fit the bill for being different and, in my opinion, is one of the best all around patterns available. You will certainly be seeing this pattern once I get around to buying a WW2 era gun.

But thanks for the link. Although that pattern seems to have more grey in it than the one I'm waering now, it will match my BDU's better than a woodland cover.

Heh....I suppose I could abandon the PASGT and wear my M1916 camo painted stahlhelm in the field! Talk about standing out.
http://www.greatwar.com/GREATWARORIG/gr11125.JPG
Note that above photo is not the helmet in my collection. Mine has different and brighter colors!

"Trench Raider"
See y'all tommorrow in my neck of the woods!