PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with my Sniper Rifle please

Daltaren
11-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I have been trying to find a Sniper Rifle for a while now and i've finnaly decided i am going to get the UTG MK96. (If you know what store or website sells the most reliable UTG MK96 please tell me) The problems i ran into were the upgrades. I want to upgrade nearly all of the orignal parts for it but people have differing ideas about which upgrades i need to buy and install. For example i wanted to get a piston, spring, barrel, and trigger box upgrade (if anyone thinks i need more than that please tell me) and the piston and spring upgrade reviews would say that at first they greatly increase range and accuracy but eventually they will wear down and sometimes even destroy the trigger box that comes with the Sniper Rifle, (if they don't actually do that please tell me) so i thought i would get a upgraded trigger box but i don't know anything about those either as far as upgrades for them go. Also i have heard that 6.01 tightbore barrels are great but others have said the 6.02 and 6.03 barrels are better because they allow the bb more room to shoot through. Im not sure which to listen to. Lastly i am sorry if this information could have been found elsewhere but i just couldn't find it. Thank you for any help you can give.

Forgot to ask, but if any of you could give me a website or store where i can buy these parts at that would be fantastic. Thanks again!

Cough
11-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Airsoft Gi has a Lot of APS2 Parts. Night look there. There is also something you should know about the UTG mk96. The bolt has a screw that falls out if you pull it back and then down, Breaking it.

Spooky
11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Airsoft Atlanta (http://www.airsoftatlanta.com) has just about all the upgrades you'll need for the UTG L96 and with quite a selection as well.

Daltaren
11-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you, but i have read many reviews about the utg mk96 and none have ever mentioned anything about a screw falling out and breaking it, but if you can show me a reliable review about it i might be convinced. And spooky i'm not sure if they're the same thing but i beleive the utg l96 is a different model than the utg mk96, not sure though. But thank you anyways, but can anyone tell me about the trigger box upgrade? Still clueless about that.

Spooky
11-22-2010, 02:18 PM
The UTG L96 is the same as the MK96. The only reason it is called the "MK96" is to avoid any copyright infringement by calling it by its real name.
The Zero Trigger Upgrade part is essential if you wish to upgrade the L96 with a heavier spring. The stock trigger is made with cheap metal sears and tends to break when used with a more powerful spring. The Zero Trigger is much easier to use, and has virtually no trigger pull.

Cough was correct though. there is a pin in the bolt that if pulled and rotated the wrong way it will fall out and you may not be able to use the bolt anymore. This happened to my TSD L96 but so far I've had no trouble come of it. So I am not sure if this is a problem with the newer models or the older models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKeik08Bt5A&feature=player_embedded

Daltaren
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh thank you for clearing that up. Does the airsoft atlanta have the zero trigger? Or can you give me the actual names of the items that i need on the website? Thanks again

Spooky
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Their Sniper Rifle parts section has a list of items for the L96 that are made specifically for the UTG L96.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Airsoft_Type_96_APS2_L96_s/279.htm

The Laylax Zero Trigger is there along with pretty much every upgrade you could want.
If you just want to increase accuracy and range then you'll want the PDI Hop-up chamber and a tightbore barrel along with barrel spacers and high quality bbs.
To increase power you'll need a heavier spring, which will require you to get the zero trigger and either the laylax brand or pdi brand cylinder kits.(i'm pretty sure they are made by the same company, but are different product lines)

dman3lax4
11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
This is a zero trigger from Airsoft Atlanta:
http://www.Airsoftatlanta.com/Airsoft_Laylax_L96_Zero_Trigger_for_the_Type_96_sn _p/58327.htm
My friend has this one and he loves it on his highly upgraded l96.

*EDIT* Spooky beat me to it. My link is specifically for the Laylax Zero Trigger he is referring to. To add on to what he is saying, PDI barrels are expensive but are pretty generally considered the best money can buy. They are very well made and the accuracy is great using one.

Daltaren
11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks again, yall are really helping. Just a few more questions. What kind of barrel size do you reccomend? Like a 6.01mm? What are barrels spacers and PDI Hop up Chambers. Sorry for all the questions and thank you again in advance =)

Spooky
11-24-2010, 01:51 AM
For a bolt action sniper rifle like the L96 a 6.01mm barrel would be fine. Though you must be sure to clean the barrel often or even the slightest bit of dirt or grime could cause a bb jam.

And once again if you look on the links we gave you you'll see the Hop-up chamber and the barrel spacers listed there with info on them. Barrel spacers prevent the inner barrel from flexing after a shot and the hop-up chamber is self explanatory.

Nashorn101
11-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Airsoft Gi has a Lot of APS2 Parts. Night look there. There is also something you should know about the UTG mk96. The bolt has a screw that falls out if you pull it back and then down, Breaking it.

I know my friend had a UTG L96, and his broke down in a couple of months. Overall its not the best quality weapon. Its only like $90 correct?

Daltaren
11-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you nashorn but i am upgrading it so that it wont be a cheap breakable gun. Most reviews ive read on it say its a great gun and can be very effective and more durable when upgraded=)

Daltaren
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks again Spooky, you've been loads of help. I'm pretty sure i've gotten down all the parts i need so im going to list them for a final check. Here they are
AGM L96 Style Spring Rifle. (with no scope $89.99) Does it matter what color i buy it in or does it not matter as long as i have terrain equivalent ghillie camo?
PDI Hop Up Chamber for type 96 ($63.99)
Laylax Type 96 L96 Zero Trigger ($209.99)
PDI Duralmin Barrel Spacers (2pk) For Type 96 ($19.99)
PDI APS2 Type 96 6.01mm Tight Bore Barrel 333mm ($112.99) (Theres also a 6.01mm tight bore barrel but its 495mm, not sure whats the difference)
And i could not find the spring or a decent scope. If you know a link that would be very helpful. If i am missing anything please tell me. Thanks again=)

Spooky
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Whoa whoa hold on on that order!

The AGM L96 is not at all the same as the UTG version. There are two main kinds of L96 Spring Sniper rifles (not including the TM or Maruzen) The WELL/UTG/TSD are one type and the AGM are another kind. The AGM will not take any of the UTG upgrades or magazines and is a really cheap plastic mess.

Also the barrel length of the UTG L96 is 495~500mm long so the one you have listed is too short. That barrel is made specifically for people that want to change out the outer and inner barrel to make the gun as short as possible.

And since you are getting the PDI Hop-up chamber, you don't need to worry about getting a tightbore barrel specifically for the L96 as that hop-up chamber also supports AEG tightbore barrels that may be cheaper and easier to find. Just make sure you get a barrel that is 495mm to 500mm long.

Also the Zero Trigger may not work with the stock piston in the 96, be prepared to buy a laylax piston if it does not work. And you don't even need the zero trigger if you aren't upgrading the spring to something heavier.

Daltaren
11-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Ohh haa im very confused now. But thank you for saving me on that. So most of the parts were correct except for the actual gun? What im saying is will all those parts (including the 495mm tight bore barrel) work for a utg l96? I also need to find a upgraded spring and a compatiable utg l96 for these parts so if you have link that would be fantastic. And what your saying is if the laylax trigger doesn't work i need a laylax piston to make it work? Could i get a link to that also please? Sorry for being so ununderstanding=)

Spooky
11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
If you look at the link I sent you at the beginning of this thread, you'll find the laylax piston along with some other brands. If you search the site you'll find the springs you are looking for though they may be listed as "APS2" instead of L96.

To reiterate on the zero trigger:
The laylax piston is guaranteed to work with the laylax zero trigger. I am not sure if it will work without it.

The other parts you listed will work with the UTG L96 as long as you pick the 495mm barrel.

Daltaren
11-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks a lot! Just one more question. Just because im a tad bit paranoid will you give me a link to the l96 compatiable with those parts? Just so i don't mess up. Thanks!=)

Spooky
11-25-2010, 02:52 AM
TSD L96 (http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/TSD_SD96_Sniper_Rifle_airsoft_p/64903.htm)
WELL L96 (http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/WELL_MB01B_Spring_Rifle_p/12205.htm)

These are the only compatible L96 variants that are in stock at airsoft atlanta. You can get them for better prices elsewhere you just gotta do some research on your own. Just remember that UTG, WELL, TSD, and Warrior brands all make the same L96. They are virtually identical and will take the same upgrades. AGM is not one that is compatible.

Daltaren
11-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Great! Thank you so much,i could have never figured all that out by myself! I really appreciate it and i will get a final check list sometime soon. Happy Thanksgiving! =)

Daltaren
11-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Ok here we go. Check List.
TSD SD96 Black ($149.99)
PDI Hop Up Chamber for type 96 ($63.99)
Laylax Type 96 L96 Zero Trigger ( The TSD SD96 says it is compatiable with aftermarket L96 Laylax upgrades so does that mean i don't need the Laylax Piston?) ($209.99)
PDI Duraalmin Barrel Spacers (2pk) For Type 96 ($19.99)
PDI APS2 Type 96 6.01mm Tight Bore Barrel 495 mm ($114.99)
Lastly what is the Laylax Piston called exactly? As i cannot find anything on the link that says Laylax Piston. Nor can i find anything that says spring upgrade (except the Laylax Type 96 Smooth Spring Guide for 7 and 9mm; but that doesn't look like a spring upgrade.) Also is there any place near Central Texas i could go to to have my upgrades installed for me? Thanks again and im really sorry for the flood of questions=)

Spooky
11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
That sounds right. Happy Thanksgiving man.

Daltaren
11-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks i had a good one. Do you mind answering the last few questions i had on that last post please?=)

Spooky
11-26-2010, 01:46 PM
If you take just a few minutes to search the site i showed you, you'll find what you are looking for. The piston should have laylax, and piston in its name. There may also be some other brands you can use. And like i stated in the previous post, the springs may be listed as APS2 in their name instead of L96 as they are compatible.

I don't know of any place personally in Central Texas that will install these upgrades, but there are bound to be instructional videos on Youtube and elsewhere.

Daltaren
11-26-2010, 10:39 PM
TSD SD96 Black
Pdi Hop Up Chamber for Type 96
Laylax Type 96 L96 Zero Trigger
PDI Duralmin Barrel Spacers (2pk) For Type 96
PDI APS2 Type 96 6.01 MM Tight Bore Barrel 495mm
Laylax Type 96 L96/APS2 High Pressure Piston
Laylax APS2 and Type 96 L96 Power Accuracy Cup (The Website states i need this Accuracy Cup if i need the high pressure piston and you told me i need the piston for the Zero Trigger)
PDI APS2 L96 6.01 Tight Bore Barrel 495mm
Though the barrel spacers will not fit the barrel. Not sure what to do, I am posting a new thread to get some help.