PDA

View Full Version : BattleTac Milsim GPS Tracking

WhiskeyTango
08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I read about this new smart phone app that was developed specifically for airsoft and paintball Milsim scenarios. In a nutshell it is an application that can run on any phone which has GPS and Java capabilities. With the iPhone, you have to run it using their WebLite version. It provides real time battle information and unit tracking and has a messaging system so you can quickly relay orders to friendly units in the field.
The future is now!

http://battletac.com/web/guest

Caliban
08-08-2010, 02:24 PM
That would be cool to try out in a large OP!

WhiskeyTango
08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I know it is Beta stage, but I am trying to get some of the other leaders and squad leaders on board to use it during OP Just Revenge, and that is a very large upcoming event.

Cannon Fodder
08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
and has a messaging system so you can quickly relay orders to friendly units in the field.
http://battletac.com/web/guest
Texting and shooting is as dangerous as shooting drunk...

WhiskeyTango
08-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Texting and shooting is as dangerous as shooting drunk...

Ha! That's a bumper sticker. Tactically speaking, you would only send SMS type comms when radio silence is mandatory, or radio comms are out of range. I could also foresee SMS messaging being used only to relay recon intel between HQ and your recon element which if they are doing their job would not be engaged and shooting. If your units were engaged, you could also send a quick SMS to inform units of a new rally point or objective, once contact has been broken, or dealt with.
But yes, if someone sent an SMS during a firefight saying, "Yo, dude, I just got teh most killah head shot," then I could see it being a major distraction.

dman3lax4
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
That's pretty cool. I just tried it out on my phone and it has some neat features.

WhiskeyTango
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I placed my iPhone inside an UnderArmour Wrist Coach, and launched the app. Even with the plastic protective coating over my screen I was able to easily type messages and scroll the map. I definitely see some useful potential with this app when used in MilSim environments. It also uses NATO icons to represent units. You can designate your unit as infantry, medic, Special Forces, and even anit-armor. Here's a picture:
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx168/WhiskeyTango79/battletac.jpg

RevSM
08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
The biggest thing I'd be worried about is cracking the screen. I saw they have an Iphone pelican case that might be useful but I have a HTC Hero Google phone and it only sorta fits in it ok. If you're interested in it, they have them at Fry's for under $30.

WhiskeyTango
08-10-2010, 05:29 PM
The biggest thing I'd be worried about is cracking the screen. I saw they have an Iphone pelican case that might be useful but I have a HTC Hero Google phone and it only sorta fits in it ok. If you're interested in it, they have them at Fry's for under $30.
Actually I'm taking it to a whole new level of fake war geekery.
http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=82

The 13th Exile
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
BattleTac was supposed to be tested at Operation Oklahoma Invasion. A local GPS guru up there said they didn't have any maps of any AOs in the US (as it's a Belgium company) yet and he had to make them from scratch. Also, I'm not sure about the SMS part of the app, but I DO know it's for real-time updated GPS positioning between the app users and someone using what they call a 'command unit'.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've read all the information on it, so I could be behind in the development here. However, it does look very tacticool... Especially when you strap it to your wrist.

But that's just my .2 grams,
Exile

WhiskeyTango
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
BattleTac was supposed to be tested at Operation Oklahoma Invasion. A local GPS guru up there said they didn't have any maps of any AOs in the US (as it's a Belgium company) yet and he had to make them from scratch. Also, I'm not sure about the SMS part of the app, but I DO know it's for real-time updated GPS positioning between the app users and someone using what they call a 'command unit'.
Anyway, it's been a while since I've read all the information on it, so I could be behind in the development here. However, it does look very tacticool... Especially when you strap it to your wrist.
But that's just my .2 grams,
Exile
I'm not sure how it is on other smart phones with GPS/JAVA capabilities, but on the iPhone I have to use a 'Weblite' version. That version is browser based, and allows me to either use a user generated map from the server, OR use satellite imagery from Google maps. Using it at my ranch, has worked great, however, I have not tested it with other users in the same vicinity.
One downfall to the Weblite Beta version, is that I cannot mark maps; i.e. pinpoint enemy locations for other friendly units to see. They plan on fixing it according to their site, but that is a major drawback. Also, since I have the iPhone 3G, i need to update my OS to the iOS4 so MY location moves in real time. As it stands, my location gets a 'push' from the server every two minutes, however I am able to see real time movement from friendly units.
Lastly, you can take satellite imagery from Yahoo maps, and put it into a wiki type website called OpenStreetMap, and add all pertinent data for that airsoft field; i.e. bunkers, roads, bases, etc. and then upload it to the BattleTac server so that all users using the app for the OP can download it regardless of cellular coverage. But they claim, that you will not need to download maps if your cellular service is ok in the Ops, AO.

Mir
08-10-2010, 10:27 PM

My 1:50k TOPO map doesnt scratch :D