PDA

View Full Version : Delta loadout

zSNIP3DOWNz
06-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, I haven't been on in a while, but thought since I'm close to getting out to my first game, might want to start working on a legit loadout. I recently saw Black Hawk Down for about the third time and this was the first time since starting airsoft, so I fell in love with the Delta loadout scheme, so I thought I would run the idea past you guys since you guys know what works.

Not quite sure what vest yet, but something like what the Deltas use; black and low profile (suggestions welcome: preferably Pantac)
Propper 3 color desert jacket/pants
5.11 tac Storm boots (blk)
Blackhawk! SERPA lvl. 2 dropleg holster for beretta (blk)
Pantac BDU belt (blk)
Pro-Tech A-Alpha helmet (RT rail and velcro panel)(blk)
Arena Flakjak version 2 goggles (blk)
some sort of lower face protection if needed (want to go to TACPB and NTA; I'll be 15 on the 21st)

That's it for now. Any suggestions welcome.

Mir
06-18-2010, 12:43 AM
My .2 Cents: Run your own rig and setup. What works for a movie and other people works for them. No one in the special operations community runs the same setup, so basing your setup off of a movie is kind of dumb if you ask me. A majority of airsoft players also don't carry equipment normally found in a combat load. Start with the basics and go from there. To many people find it necessary to fill up every single MOLLE spot with useless pouches and gear. Then complain 3 hours into the game they are to hot and tired.

Start out with a basic plate carrier or modular front load vest with just MOLLE. Then buy 3 ammo pouches. Go from there game by game saying it would be nice to have a pouch here to do this. I would suggest HSGI or Eagle... they make high quality stuff, but they may be out of your budget. Also if you have never used a drop leg you should try someone's, most people are not a fan of them.

txtrench
06-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Im with MIR. Most real world drop holsters are on tankers or mounted infantry. For the black ops guys if you dont need it, dont bring it. But have it close by. thats why they dont have lots on the rig, but have a BIG ruck that they can dump. and if you have a pouch on your rig, have something in it. Pouches flapping in the wind just look bad.

zSNIP3DOWNz
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Well, I have been thinking of a PMC loadout, too.
Here that is.

Pantac PC (CB) or Pantac weesatch (CB)
5.11 SABRE jacket (blk)
5.11 Taclite Pro pants (khaki) or just straight up Levi jeans
Blackhawk! contractors hat W/ flag (khaki)
Arena Flakjaks version 1 (tan)
5.11 ATAC boot (coyote)
Blackhawk! shemaugh (CB)
Pantac BDU belt (blk)
Balckhawk! SERPA CQC holster for ??? (what sidearm is a PMC most likely to use?)

Thanks for the feedback. Don't want to show up and be pretty much wearing a safety vest.

AustinWolv
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
PMC would be carrying anything from a Glock to a 1911 to whatever they want. Get a holster besides the SERPA. In real life, there are risks with them, such that even well-known trainers and matches don't allow them. In airsoft, you can get a cheaper holster and not train yourself poorly on potentially unsafe gear.

hebrewhammer
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I have run a serpa holster for a while now with no problems. However, I have trained with it at home quite a bit. The biggest problem is accidental discharge from improper finger placement on the draw. Many people have shot themselves in the leg at real steal matches, so I am told. They are also not ideal for the woodland environment. I have had real world operators tell me about debris getting stuck under the release button and there is no way to get your pistol out without pulling things apart. For now you should try something like a nylon pouch or even an m4 mag pouch w/retention strap. Several people keep side arms in m4 puoches. If you have the money, Safariland seems to be the way to go for quality, proven gear but it will cost you. I agree with Mir. Don't worry about any specific set up. Show up with your basic equipment and modify it as you gain experience. I have gone through three different loadout ideas in the 2 years I have been in airsoft. Oh yeah, drop legs are a pain in the butt!!!

Cannon Fodder
06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Just commenting on Hebrewhammer's comment I have a SOTech Tomcat and with the way I have configured it to run I have 10 Thompson mags and 1 spare mag pouch left that I use for my sidearm. It's close and easy to draw, it won't fall out, and having it there cuts down on the amount of odd pouches I have to throw on my rig. I have used a cheapo leg holster for about 1 game, maybe two and I was done with it.

Ruthless
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4580783857_28944b98bc_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4581407664_4ba3893cb6_o.jpg

Here is my PMC / SPEC OPS loadout in action.

I run Pantac Gear and only load what I use on my rig.
The Pantec leg drop holster works well with every side arm I have found and is fully adjustable.

I wear 5.11 Tactical Kahki when not in Multicam.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Joel.Gabel/WinterGarden#5406299575408356882

Stay away from the boonie for the leet look :)

txtrench
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
It may not be cool or sexy but the standard green issue holster for the M9 is not a bad bit of equipment. you can go chest, belt, vest, long drop etc with the one holster. Also its tested in combat and comes out looking better than most.
Just my .02.

jeremywills
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I roll with a Bianchi M9 issue holster. Loose the suicide flap and get the thumb break for it. The issue drop leg panel stinks. Extremely rigid, almost like its a piece of plastic covered in nylon.

I went this route paired with one of thier Last Resort BDU belts and never looked back.

http://www.spectergear.com/tactical_holsters.htm

I love my M9 specific drop leg setup. Spectergear as you can see also makes a modular tactical holster too in case your not an M9 user. I've thrown my Marui Glock in my Bianchi holster plenty of times though, it fits just as snug. However, whenever possible going with a platform specific holster is usally the best option. The universal holsters don't always give the appropiate purchase for your sidearm. Proper weapon retention is something alot of guys don't consider in a chosen holster. I found out the hard way with a cheapy holster when my Marui wound up falling out crawling around on the ground. Fortunately an honest airsofter found it and returned it. Swore then I would get quality setup. So worth the peace of mind knowing I'll never have to worry about my sidearm working its way loose again.

I have to confess that I'm a real Spectergear cheerleader. I use it for airsoft and real steel. All of my slings, belts, and holster setup is all Specter now. Excellent quality comparably priced to typical alternatives. I like thier stuff and most likely will be acquiring some more down the road. Made right here in the good ol USA.

YMMV as usual.

TheGreatMrPoo
06-19-2010, 12:39 AM
The SERPA holster unsafe?? I've used it on dismounted and mounted patrols in Iraq. With no problems, Alot of active duty soldiers are using SERPA holsters, PSD trainers train soldiers with them as well. It's all personal preference, but i have never heard or seen them as being unsafe. Pressing the release button on the side, positions your trigger finger ready to fire.

AustinWolv
06-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Plenty of documentation on them on the 'net.
This is just one such thread with accidents involving them, along with quoted well-known instructors not favoring them:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393441

Sure, they may work. However, if they are known to have had issues and require diligent training and practice to ensure they are used correctly and safely as detailed in that thread, then my point made earlier is reinforced especially since there are other holsters out there that don't require that.

TheGreatMrPoo
06-19-2010, 10:27 AM
To each his own, i've used mine overseas in Kuwait and Iraq sand storms. I have not had one problem pulling my issued M9 Beretta. I personally like the button release on the side, i've used it cross draw on my rack set, also as a leg drop set up. No retention strap, and a faster pull IMO for me.

AustinWolv
06-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes, that is what was said. Use what you want to use. I have not owned one and will not own one.

Hey, look, one of the local members made a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61IT85GZT6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ&feature=related

The points stand: My belief is there are better options out there that don't have the chances of failure.

zSNIP3DOWNz
06-20-2010, 07:02 PM
While both of those are very true, lets be real. It's arisoft and your reasons for staying away from it are valid, but honestly it won't kill me to take a bb in the leg at point blank, it will probably sting like a word I'm not supposed to say, but it won't kill me.

sonjamichelle
06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
You want to be real?

How about this; It's YOUR money, buy what YOU want.

You don't need the other's approval over what gear you want to buy. you like the Serpa and what to get one, then by all means, get one.

You want to buy expensive Gucci gear, then do so. You want to save a few clams and get the cheaper stuff, go for it!

I've seen the "kool kidz" berate and ridicule the newbie for buying the inexpensive Condor gear instead of the high dollar real world operator stuff.

But you know, I have to laugh because for $250 that newbie bought a full load out with a bunch of extras and two years later it's just as serviceable as the high dollar stuff. I mean, you only wear it three or four times a month for a few hours a day. It's not like you need something that will stand up to 12 hours shifts 7 days a week for the duration of a 12 month deployment in some of the most inhospitable terrain around.

Like I said, it all boils down to this; it's YOUR money, YOUR stuff, get what YOU want and what YOU like.

In the end it's just a game and you're out there playing dress up like the rest of us.

AustinWolv
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
but honestly it won't kill me to take a bb in the leg at point blank
You asked for an opinion. You got it. Thus, make a decision.
The point was that if you learn a poor way of doing something and then apply that when you use real firearms down the road, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

As I said earlier, " Use what you want to use."
Thus, as this point, make up your mind if you don't want further comments and opinions.

Mir
06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
While both of those are very true, lets be real. It's arisoft and your reasons for staying away from it are valid, but honestly it won't kill me to take a bb in the leg at point blank, it will probably sting like a word I'm not supposed to say, but it won't kill me.

Not to triple tap the issue.... But you will find a majority of the community uses airsoft for the realism. Many members including myself play for the "muscle memory" of handling firearms to use as training. As such we feel everything should be similar to what we would do with real steel to improve our individual skills. Like others have said bad habits in airsoft will crossover to real steel. We also view gun safety as the same to real steel, dont be caught flagging (pointing your rifle) at anyone. Not trying to be a dick, just wanted to give you some information on the community to help your stay in the long run.

WhiskeyTango
06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Mir: I could not agree more.
To the OP. When it comes to gear, you are obviously finding that everyone has an opinion. My suggestion is this. If your approach to airsoft is to look like someone you saw in a movie and duplicate that look, go for it. It is first all about having fun, and what makes you feel good. If you are approaching it from a more MilSim approach, meaning your load out would duplicate that of an active duty soldier, or LEO or militia member then research what those service men and women are using, and spend the bucks.
My personal approach is somewhere in the middle. I use airsoft as a means to train with tactics, and become adept in using my real steal counterparts more proficiently. My gear reflects exactly what I would be wearing if the poop hit the fan, or the zombies came a knockin'. With the exception that I do not wear a plate carrier, or Milspec Kevlar MICH. I cut corners and went for a cross draw vest, and a mock MICH helmet. I saved a lot of money doing this, which allowed me to get cooler things like airsoft Claymores and grenades!
Wolv does make a great point about the risks of using that holster with a real pistol, and that is a valid point. I personally have no experience with it, so I could not offer any advice. But, by saying that 'it would not kill you to get shot in the leg by a BB' kind of defeats the outlook that a lot of us have with airsoft. If that is your approach, then why not just charge a fortified bunker? Why even take cover in a firefight? Heck why even have a holster? Maybe that's a little extreme, but do you get what I'm trying to get at? Good luck!

jeremywills
06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Fight as you trained. Train as you were to fight.

Thats the motto alot of these guys myself included will keep in mind. The Serpa puts your finger in theory in the appropiate positioning on the draw. Its still the operators responsibility to keep ther damned finger out of the trigger guard once drawn. By placing the finger in the appropiate spot it is easy to immediately find your finger falling right into the guard as it clears the holster.

It all boils down to memory muscle. With any holster you can easily place your finger in the right spot and create the ever unfortunate accidential discharge. A term I sort of don't like as there is no such thing as an accident. Its plain and simple, you put your finger there, you manipulated it, no one forced the gun or your finger to work in concert together to acutate the firing cycle except............. you.

Sorry, kind of going off on my soap box. The Serpa design just happens to put your finger in the exact spot and I think thats why there have been a higher number of discharges on the draw and why some have taken note. I don't think its a good design for the novice shooter personally. Bottom line, if it works for you, and your comfortable with it, go for it. I still prefer the thumbreak concept myself. Also, when I say novice, I'm thinking of the real steel equivalent. Yes, shooting yourself with airsoft is not lethal, but thats a bad way to think about it. You should always follow the safety rules for firearms when utilizing airsoft. Its just plain smart common sense. That way when you do pick up a firearm you are not putting yourself or anyone else in danger with bad habits carried over from this hobby.

YMMV as usual.

Caliban
06-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Another thing to think about, is that the "replicas" we play with aren't always the exact dimensions of the real steel model. I speak from experience, I bought a Serpa for my G18C replica. It seemed a little snug when I tried it on and practiced drawing it at home. I thought it wasn't too bad though. However, at OP: Red Tide, after running around for most of the day, the G18C must have worked down into the Serpa a little better because when I needed, I couldn't extract it easily. The guy I had the drop on got away, and I got shot from behind.:doh:

hebrewhammer
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Another thing to think about, is that the "replicas" we play with aren't always the exact dimensions of the real steel model. I speak from experience, I bought a Serpa for my G18C replica. It seemed a little snug when I tried it on and practiced drawing it at home. I thought it wasn't too bad though. However, at OP: Red Tide, after running around for most of the day, the G18C must have worked down into the Serpa a little better because when I needed, I couldn't extract it easily. The guy I had the drop on got away, and I got shot from behind.:doh:

I have this same issue with my KSC Glock 17. I have used a little sandpaper on the inside of the holster to give more clearance. I also removed the tension screw completely. I have not had this problem with my 1911 replicas and Serpa holsters.

iLL-1
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm surprised a Mod hasn't jumped on you all to stay on topic!!

AustinWolv
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Why?
The discussion is about gear and a said piece of gear about which the original poster inquired.

iLL-1
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I thought the post was about a specific load out. It has turned into an opinionated discussion of a specific holster. I don't really care, just saying.

zSNIP3DOWNz
06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
true. I decided to do what someone (maybe not on this forum) said. they said just show up with what I got and then go from there on what I could use for different situations when I get in them and then actually need the gear. thanks for the input everyone. I think I have opted out of a SERPA for now.

AustinWolv
06-23-2010, 12:01 AM
ill-1, not a big deal. Check it out:

so I thought I would run the idea past you guys since you guys know what works.
Blackhawk! SERPA lvl. 2 dropleg holster for beretta (blk)

jeremywills
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm glad the original poster has asked and received the information they were seeking.
A Serpa wouldn't have been a proper holster for a Blackhawk down era Delta loadout anyhow ;)