PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Spring?

Dynobis1987
02-25-2010, 06:36 PM
What is better for Sniper rifles. Gas or Spring? Both in Accuracy and FPS. Lets leave price out of it though. =D

Vert-x
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
There are a couple of variables to consider, even with the financial aspect out of the equation, are we talking with mods? out of the box? Etc. Out of the box I'd probably chose spring, they tend to be more accurate and consistent from shot to shot, particularly when compared to gas.

of course YMMV.

txtrench
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Will a gas rifles aim point change durring the day as it got warmer or colder like paint ball?

AustinWolv
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Will a gas rifles aim point change durring the day as it got warmer or colder like paint ball?
Yes, because the muzzle energy can change significantly for gas-in-mag gas rifles as ambient temperature changes. Paintball guns with CO2 bottles hanging off of them aren't as affected as gas-in-mag airsoft guns are, but airsoft gas rifles running remote rigs are very stable.

Out of the box, a spring rifle beats a gas-in-mag rifle in consistency over the course of an entire mag.

txtrench
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Thats what i was thinking, also as the gas is expelled out of the mag it will cool the springs and bolt changing the friction and thus changing the aimpoint.

AustinWolv
02-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Um, no.

joeyphoshowey
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
For consistency and simplicity go with Spring.

My buddy's Tanaka M700 AICS comes out of the box shooting 500-550 FPS w/ .2g bb's but as wolv said,
it's very inconsistent as far as muzzle energy goes.
Since the hop ups are generally 'precision tuned' variances of 15-25 fps per shot can really throw off the long range accuracy. It's almost been a year since I used that Tanaka rifle, but I do remember it being VERY accurate out of the box (no modifications, and hop-up dialed in).
When I 'zeroed' his scope for him, I was able to hit a can sized target 9/10 times from a distance of 70 feet.
I'm sure this figure does the weapon no justice, but those were the results. The gun can shoot much further than my M14 and M16 AEGs.

Another perk to gas is that the bolt pull is very light with almost no resistance (minus friction). When the round is fired from the M700 in particular, it is almost completely silent. The hammer hitting the striker is probably about as loud as the 'muzzle fire.' Also- it comes with a 6.01mm barrel installed from the factory.
The body and finish are superb. Much higher in quality control than that of any ACM spring "Accuracy International" replica.

I'm no expert on 'sniper rifles' or anything, but those were just the results from my own experience. If you search some other forums you can find out A LOT about ARES, TANAKA, and other precision gas rifle platforms.

AustinWolv
02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
It's almost been a year since I used that Tanaka rifle, but I do remember it being VERY accurate out of the box (no modifications, and hop-up dialed in).
That is a rarity since Tanaka rifles are known to have inconsistent hop out of the box. 6 shots will be very nice and then a random flyer. It was common to have to run hundreds of rounds through them to get the hop rubber bedded in and it was still inferior to a TM VSR hop setup.

I used to have one with PCS bolt. Cool replica, but having to deal with the hop, in having to upgrade the chamber to VSR hop compatibility, wasn't worth keeping it.

Combine that with the variance due to ambient temperature during the summer months, and it wasn't worth the effort in my opinion. That is especially so since over certain temperatures, the hammer spring wasn't strong enough to actuate the mag valve due to the increased pressure inside the mag, so the mag's valve knocker piece (forgot the real term for it) that was monkey metal would just deform from the hits. They had to be upgraded to steel replacement and then you had to install stronger hammer spring for hot weather use.

Blah. Externally-powered gas rifles are so much better to use.

The light bolt pull on gas rifles is a good point however. They are silky compared to spring rifles. However, considering I had an upgraded Type96 back in the day also, I would rather carry that, even with the tougher bolt pull, than a gas-in-mag rifle.

I'd take a semi-auto AEG setup over any of the above 3 options though. My old SVD was just plain evil. ;)

Vert-x
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes, the heavy pull in springs can present a whole new set of issues. In my particular case being a lefty I always found it particularly hard to cycle the bolt with my weaker (right) side, the struggle was so much so that most of the time I would have to re-acquire my target.

As AW I went the electric (auto disabled) route.

JdG09
03-13-2010, 04:07 AM
I've been doing some research and so far I have found that the Mauser SR Pro-Tactical Spring Rifle is good enough to rival and/or surpass the UTG L96. Not only that, on airsplat.com, I was reading a review on the UTG L96 and in that review the tester that posted the review said, out-of-the-box accuracy was fair poor, so he adjusted the hop-up a bit then tested it again, this time it was a bit better, so he took it apart and found that it was excessively lubed and that inner barrel spacers had contributed to the inconsistency and poor accuracy over longer ranges. If there is anything any of you can tell me about your experience with either of the two earlier mentioned rifles send me a Private Message or post a reply.

Mir
03-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I've been doing some research and so far I have found that the Mauser SR Pro-Tactical Spring Rifle is good enough to rival and/or surpass the UTG L96. Not only that, on airsplat.com, I was reading a review on the UTG L96 and in that review the tester that posted the review said, out-of-the-box accuracy was fair poor, so he adjusted the hop-up a bit then tested it again, this time it was a bit better, so he took it apart and found that it was excessively lubed and that inner barrel spacers had contributed to the inconsistency and poor accuracy over longer ranges. If there is anything any of you can tell me about your experience with either of the two earlier mentioned rifles send me a Private Message or post a reply.

Please stay on topic. This thread is about Gas or Spring rifles. You already made a thread here (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11231) with your Mauser rifle question. We do this to keep each thread specific to its topic. That way when others read them you are not sifting through page after page of random, off topic spam in hope of finding a post three threads in about the original topic.