PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Verraterei AAR

Trench_raider
01-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey all.

I'm too tired to actually write up a detailed AAR and hit all the points I want to cover. The Cliff's Notes version is that the first half of the day was very enjoyable and I'm glad I went. The second half of the day not so much. I'll post a detailed AAR with the good, the bad, and the ugly tommorrow.

Untill then, feel free to post you thoughts on the event in this thread.

Goodnight! :D

TR

RedDuke89
01-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I guess it was different for each team, because Myself and some of the other NATO guys were really dragging at the beginning, but things really picked up during the second half of the day. The grassfire was also a lot of fun. I think I picked up a fair amount of ash in my throat and nose though. All in all I had a pretty great time, and didn't have any problems with the players. No one was shrugging off hits or cheating or anything. It was all very professional.

My only complaints revolved around the actual scenario. (For Instance, you kill someone 2 or 3 times. Why do we have to capture the guy again later?) (If you throw a grenade and kill all the guys guarding your leader, including those who are farther away from you than your leader, how does your leader Magically survive?)

Things worked out just fine though, and I certainly walked away feeling good about the day. That was a great op, A&M, and very impressive for being the first one you ever put on.

DontFearDaReaper
01-23-2010, 07:49 PM
The morning session was a ton of fun and even if there had been no afternoon session it was worth the 20 dollar field fee. They have done a lot a work to improve the field, most notably the little town with about a dozen or so buildings and some more vehicles interspersed here and there to provide cover.

We got treated to a small brush fire at the end of the morning session, but the volunteer fire department reacted very quickly so no real harm was done except maybe for some jokes tossed at the field owner who had accidentally started the fire with a flare meant to signal the end of the morning session. He took the good natured ribbing in stride so aside from an extra 45 minutes or so for lunch, it didn't really have an impact on the day.

The wind was really blowing hard in the afternoon and that made accurate shooting difficult. I eventually decided to go home early because of the wind. . There were a few other issues in the afternoon session but only one of them involved me (a blatant and repeat hit shrugger but what op doesn't have at least one of those ??!?). I won't comment on things that didn't involve me. All in all, I saw a ton of improvements, it was great to meet some of the Temple/Waco and TAMU guys. They are really working hard to help the field owner make this a place anyone would want to play at.

One note for older hands that might want to wander out and give the place a try. They require fully sealed goggles on the field, you can't wear shooting glasses like you can on other fields. The field owner said this requirement is posted on his web site, but I freely admit I didn't look at it, I got all my information off the first post on this thread. They did provide me with a mask to wear at no charge but next time I wander out there I will have a set of goggles that meet the field requirement so I don't have to hassle with working a loaner into my kit.

Dave

Oh, I forgot to mention the turnout was FANTASTIC. I don't have the exact number but it had to be close to 100 folks.

txtrench
01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks all for everyone that came out.
The list of great people is long so I cant and will not go into them all except to say thanks. There were nearly 100 people on the field and the bunkers, buildings, etc soaked them up. I had a great time and was only hit 4-20 times.

The field is at the starting point right now. Expect to see the town go from 18 buildings now to 40 by the end of the summer with more windows and thanks to the volunteer fire dept a 2-3 story building that may be coming soon (I had the pleasure of talking to them today). Also with the WWI guys we should have a world-class trench system soon. If we can swing it the Viet Nam village will be started in about 2 months.

We are still working on the rules, one thing for sure is from now on you must wear shoes.

Come on out and see it sometime.

Ok lets get this out of the way.
I hope that everyone had a hot time today.
You temple guys were on fire.
The A&M guys were smokin.
There were some flamers on the field.
Etc…. LOL

Again thanks all
Dave
OC-6

P.S. next skirmish is this sat.

jeremywills
01-23-2010, 09:20 PM
@RedDuke89.....

Sir, I died so many times during that lil run my rear end around the field scenario it wasn't even funny. I first got popped and nabbed by Tan. When the green guys took out the tan guys with the stinger missle I was in the group holding me hostage that got popped. Then when green took out the second group holding me I must have been hit with about 20 bbs minimum that go around. Finally my own guy blew me up with a grenade. Yea, I should have been a coroner's nightmare to ID at that point.

It was explained to me that I was effectively wounded that entire time and not dead unless my guys were to get a hand on me then I could respawn. I understand your frustration but all 3 sides my guys included were able to effectively wound me and move me around like a chess pawn :D Its only fair.

@Trench Raider.....

Yes, I'm too tired to really write up a detailed AAR right now but I'll be doing that sometime tommorow. Overall though the day was a good experience.

@txtrench and Temple Airsoft players........

Thanks for having us out. The field is looking good so far and once everything in your plan is in place it should be a great airsoft and reenactment spot. No more napalm runs please haha. It will be nice to see it in the summer with more buildings and greener.

Finally, thanks to Kapowwe for once again supporting Texas airsoft with a raffle donation.

txtrench
01-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Was great to have you their salami, even if you could have picked a different color shirt.
:ninja:

sonjamichelle
01-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Was great to have you their salami, even if you could have picked a different color shirt.

At least he matched the Porta-Jon

jeremywills
01-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I knew purple camo would one day be useful :D

DontFearDaReaper
01-23-2010, 10:41 PM
<snip> I had a great time and was only hit 4-20 times. ...<snip>

I was guilty of lighting you up one of those times. It was during the morning session and we (the Terrorists) were pushing hard to fight our way though the town and find the hidden documents. I made a dash from one building to another and being an old man it made me a little winded and I inadvertantly breathed heavily into my mask treating myself to a brief fogging problem. My mask was just starting to clear up when a figure in green rounded the corner of a building in my field of fire. I fired a burst at him almost certainly hitting him. I was able to move my head so I could see though a part of the mask that wasn't fogged and recognized that my target was Dave, the field owner ... ooops :eek:

Dave

RedDuke89
01-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Haha, oh Herr Salami, I didn't mean anything personal by it. I just figured, you know. Meh, it's okay. I still had a blast. And it was great seeing, what was it, almost 90 people out there? We'd never had more than 25, maybe 30 show up. Good times. I'm looking forward to the next game. I've actually already bought some more goodies from ASGI in preperation for our next encounter...

jeremywills
01-24-2010, 08:14 AM
At least he matched the Porta-Jon

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/Eastside_Dave/CAMO.png

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/jedimstrkris2/Op%20Verrat/IMG_0980.jpg

Yes, I'm living proof that just like ACU, purple camo can work in certain situations.

I'll post a very detailed AAR soon.

Trench_raider
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Ok, I've slept, fed the cats, and had a chance to unwind. So now I've got time to actually sit down and write my impressions of "OP. Verrateri". I'm going to start off with a brief account of what occured and then break it down into specific points, first the good and then the bad.
Five of us from the Austin area (Dave, Hilt, Necroticism, his girlfriend, and me) made the fairly short drive down to Temple for the event. We got a late start and had to make an unexpected stop, thus we arrived later than we wanted to. When we arived, Dave D (the field owner) was already making a push to get everyone moving. This is not a gripe, but a good thing. I for one hate the casual "airsoft time" that many OPs and skirmishes seem to go by. More event organizers should push hard to keep on their planned time schedules like that. But I digress... Anyway, we registered and ran into the first snag of the day. Three of our number had only brought our usual shooting glasses to play in. This was unexpected (more on that below) but we were kindly provided loaner eye protection. After hitting the chrono station, we joined our team.
After the usual safety and rules briefing the teams took the field. Each team had a dedicated observer/ref imbedded to help move the scenario along. The first half of the day started with the green team defending the "embassy" building and the larger building complex with both the terrorists and the tan team trying to obtain objectives within them. This quickly resulted in a wild firefight in and around the mock village. Given that the spawn points were fairly close to the fight and the use of medic rules everyone was feeding bodies back into the fray very quickly, which kept the mayhem going non-stop for about two hours. It was exausting but fun. Halfway through the first half the tan team turned on the terrorists, which resulted in a wild three way exchange of fire. In the end the terrorists managed to capture the documents and detonate a bomb in the embassy (Counterstrike style). Having obtained our objectives, the terrorists retreated to a small bunker complex and "ran down the clock" against some admittedly half hearted attacks by the enemy.
The field owner then decided to signal the end of the first half by firing off a parachute flare. This resulted in the much discussed fire. We tried to contain it by stomping, beating, and pouring hydration packs on it. But in the end it got out of control and the local fire department had to be called. After the fire department arrived my group took the oportunity to retire for lunch, assuming (correctly) that the second half of the day's play would be delayed..
The second half of the day began much slower with a lot more sitting around. Once again this is not a gripe as the fire and the disruption of the schedule it caused was bound to slow things up. A quick raffle was held and an oportunity to chrono new guns was given. (this was something I took advantage of as I had run my AK's battery dry during the first half) The teams devided up and took the field again.
The second scenario began with the terrorist team in the open along a road directly between both enemy groups. Our objective was to place a marker flag out and then wait out the time for "extraction". It quickly became obvious to us that given our placement and the almost total lack of real cover (something made worse by the large area of scorched grass in our deployment zone) that obtaining our objectives would be extremely difficult if not impossible. To make matters worse the wind (which had made fighting the initially small grass fire so difficult) had picked up considerably. This greatly reduced the accuracy of the fire of everyone involved. Well, within a few minutes of the start of play the terrorist team was effectively over-run and scattered. For the next hour we tried to respawn and feed back into the fight as best we could. But it was a losing fight. At one point the green team captured the terrorist leader in keeping with one of their objectives and the focus of the terrorist teams shifted to a rescue operation.
After about a hour and a half of play the frustration at the scenario, irritation with some on-going sportsmanship issues (more on that below), and the fact that several of our number were having serious gun malfunctions as well as my having a rare problem with my asthma due to the smoke from the fire my little group decided to pack it in and call it a day early. I'm not sure how the scenario ended or who finally won.
All in all, I had a good time the first half. Despite a a few issues the game play went well. On a personal level I was at the "sharp end" of the action most of the time and got alot of trigger time. I'm guessing I scored over thirty kills during the first two hours of play. I also greatly enjoyed my role as one of the terrorist sub-leaders and feel that I was a effective in getting the troops moving toward our objectives. My throat is still sore as I type this from all the yelling I did. Hopefully no one was too offended at my liberal use of my "correctional officer" voice in getting people off their butts and into attack mode. :D
The first half of the day was enjoyable and well worth the 20$ and the fairly short drive down. But as i state above, the second half not so much.
So much for the quick summary of events. Now lets go into some specific points. I'll start with the good ones.
-Kudos to Dave, and the Temple and A&M guys on the big turn out. That was quite a suprise. At the begining of the day we had close to 100 people on the field. I'm not sure what caused this large turn out (a good deal bigger than the last OP I attended: Deadfest) but keep it up. I suppose the low price tag as OPs go might have contributed to this.
-Hats off to Dave trying to kick eveyone in the butt and get things rolling at the start of the day. I truely hate "airsoft time" and wish more organizers would attempt this. The second half of the day was a bit slower to start, but given the disruption of the fire this is understandable. Good work, man.
-Finally, the field has greatly improved from when I first walked it several months ago. I can safely say that as it existed at that time the field would have been unable to support the number of players that showed for this OP. 100 guys (and girls mind you) playing in an open pasture would have been no fun at all. But the addition of the two building complexes really added alot to the venue. The street fighting of the first half of the day truely the highlight for me and I'm sure I was not alone. Dave and the local teams have done alot of hard work to make this place playable. Good work guys.

Continued below...

Trench_raider
01-24-2010, 12:15 PM
TR's AAR concluded....
Sadly, we now get to the bad stuff.
-The fire has been discussed a bit in other thread so I'm not going to beat it to death (no pun intended) here. Suffice to say that was an "oopsie" moment and a disruption that could have been avoided. I did over hear Dave state to someone while fighting the fire "Well, this is a leanring experience". We can only hope this to be the case. It could have been alot worse. No one was hurt and the damage to the property slight. The fire eventually got into the area of the building complex. It would have been a shame to see the village that provided so much fun the first half of the day burned down.
Likewise the high winds harmed play quite a bit. It made long range fire impossible and caused some needless comments about supposed "hit shrugging". This of course is no one's fault. But in hindsight when the wind kicked up into high gear, the scenario should have been altered and placed in an area less effected by the wind such as the gully or the back in the buildings.
-The goggle issue was a minor annoyance. I can understand a field owner wanting full sealing goggles and I think most people are going to not have a problem with that decision. But it was not clearly stated which lead to an unpleasant suprise at the gate. It may very well state this requirement on Dave's web site (I don;t know as I have not looked) , but the write up for the OP as posted on this forum does not say anything of the sort. Given the common knowledge that many in the local airsoft community prefer to wear shooting glasses the failure to state this clearly up front was a mistake. In the future, place the line "ful sealing eye protection is required. No shooting glasses." in your ads for OPs and everything will be fine.
-The scenario, while interesting (I like the whole Cold War thing) had some issues. The decision to place teams at the start in very difficult postions facing two enemy forces was probably not the best thing they could have done. I know I'm biased here, but I think the terrorists had it worse the second half than did the NATO guys at the start. We were placed in the open, with no real cover with two enemy teams at close range on either side of us. The outcome of that was almost unavoidable. At least the NATO guys at the start had some hard cover in the form of the buildings! :) In short the scenario planning was not what it should have been.
-The write up on this site stated that TASO rules of play were going to be followed. But during the safety briefing it was implied that there would be a minimum engagement distance of 20 feet for all guns, not just AEGs. Likewise the "surrender rules" were not clearly defined. This caused some confusion and hard feelings due to the fact that it altered the way most groups normally play. For example I ran afoul of the odd statement about enagement distances during the second half. During a counter attack on the tan team we were clearing the smaller of the two building complexes. I found myself around the corner of a building from two baddies. As I was acustomed to by normal Austin arisoft practice and TASO engagment rules I dropped my rifle and drew my sidearm. I ran wide of the corner and shot both bad guys with my pistol at a range of about 15 feet. (with a very low powered Glock AEP mind you) I could not have used the surrender rule due to my not having control of the situation and being out numbered. Both guys took their hits but complained that I had "shot them too close". This might have been caused by either my misunderstanding the stated ROE or their doing the same. I'm still not sure who was right in this situation. My point is that if you are stating that you are going to use TASO ROE, then you need to stick to it and clearly define what they are.
-Finally there were some serious sportsmanship issues. I heard alot of complaints during both halves of the day about blatant hit shrugging by a certain group of players. (I'm not going to name names or point fingers here. We are in the process now of determining which group it was so as not to single out the wrong people.) To make matters worse I witnessed several incidents of such behavior first hand. Once again using a personal example, during one of the counter attacks I lead I ran up on an enemy player who was lying prone. As I had my glock in hand I fired the entire 25 round contents of the magazine into him and watched the BBs bounce off his back and legs. He then turned around and calmly shot me. Likewise earlier in the day I got lose enough during another attack to fire four rounds from 8mm derringer into a baddie from the same group. (quite an acheivement in and of itself if you are familiar with the gun I'm talking about) Needless to say these were ignored too. These are the kind of blatant examples cheating I'm talking about. I'm not refering to long range "I must have hit that guy" type incidents that the hgh winds produced. This was common and unavoidable. We all found ourselves in situations were we fired at targets that under normal conditions we would have been able to hit with ease and found ourselves missing. I'm talkng about repeated short ranged long bursts dumped into the target, seeing the BBs bounce off in all directions type events.
Right at the end, there were examples of overshooting by the same group. These guys were firing repeated full auto bursts at some of our dead players long after they had called themselves out. I don't normally complain about so called "overshooting" in airsoft. You expect to be hit from time to time after being shot. It happens. But in this case we had many examples of players literally stanidng in the open with red rag held aove their head being shot repeatedly at fairly short range in a manner that had to have been deliberate. Once again I myself took a full auto burst to the face ane neck while standing in exactly the manner I describe above.
There seem to have been alot of new or inexperienced players on the field yesterday. I saw alot of people I have never seen before and teams I had never heard of. This may have been a factor in these events. But this is of course no excuse. To make matters worse, we pointed out these sportsmanship issues to the imbedded controller/refs and little seems to have been done. This more than anything else left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope such things are policed better the next time around.
So there we have it. My long winded AAR. I hope that I was fair and balance in my presentation and pointed out both the good and bad of the day and did not step on too many toes.
Thoughts?
TR
-

RedDuke89
01-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't want to knock the A&M team at all. They did a Great job. It's always been a lot of fun playing both with and against them, and they did really well, this being the very first OP they ran.

There Was an intense amount of frustration though, regarding the objectives, at least on the NATO side in the morning, and as I've heard from some of the terrorists for them in the afternoon. That stems from having three mostly even teams that wind up fighting 2 against 1. A lot of the NATO guys were starting to just say 'screw it' there for awhile.

NATO forces started at the top of the hill at the bunker complex. We had to send out a ceremonial 'suicide squad' to the village who would die, as per the scenario. One of our squads was dispatched to the spawn point by the rusty truck, across the field from the hill, while the 2 remaining squads immediately left the hill to take the town and (hopefully) rescue our guys who were (hopefully) not all dead yet.

We made a lot of progress initially, moving on the town, clearing the fields around it. However, the Terrorist spawn point was right behind our line of advance, so when almost a dozen of them respawned right behind us and entered play in the area we'd JUST cleared and shot us in the back, it was rather frustrating. Then we hiked back up the hill to find out that the tan team 'destroyed' our spawn point there, something Else we didn't know that you could do. So then we hiked Across the field again to the rusty truck. Due to what we percieved as being screwed over by having to deploy our team in THREE seperate locations, WHILE being outnumbered 2-1, morale was very low. Our CO decided that, since we had almost our full team at the Rusty Truck, we would push on the village (I mean, embassy) in force. We also got to move our spawn point up in support of our push.

Halfway between the rusty truck and the village/embassy, there are some hedgerows in the field. The Russian (tan) forces were spread liberally through the area, and we got bogged down on the road. I managed to rally a dozen or so friendlies, and, after a couple tries, push them back and delay them enough for Hunter (NATO CO) to get the rest of the force moving towards the village.

I have to say, he did a great job as a CO, motivating the troops was difficult at times. I was also swearing like a sailor :cussing: the whole time since the crap Bio's i bought from Academy were either jamming my midcaps, or not feeding in my hicaps. So I had to fire my gun upside down most of the time to do any good. (Totally worked.) We managed to push into the village, slowly driving back the terr's and trying to hold off the Russians at the same time.

The bomb in the village (which I completely missed out on, apparently. I was having problems with my radio.) went off right before lunch. (Right? I think it did.) and grassfires ensued. I blame the Terrorists. I'd almost killed the terrorist leader and a number of his troops with an improv-grenade. I'd forgotten that 'all buildings have Theoretical Roofs.' NATO morale in the village picked up a bit before lunch time, but it was seriously flagging since we were trying to juggle multiple objectives AND deal with overwhelming enemy numbers.

At the end of the first half of the day, NATO held one objective, the East German Terrorists held 2, and the Russians had, apparently, blasted through everything so fast that they, inadvertently, wound up holding No objectives.

After lunch, the NATO forces got some Greatly appreciated artillery. And, in the greatest Miracle since... whenever, Hunter only drew One misfire card, and only killed ONE other person besides himself! (The first time, he must have killed half a dozen of us, and seemed to ONLY draw misfires) At this point in the game, NATO and Russian forces were both gunning for the terrorist leader (I fully understand their frustration.) A lot of the tall grass Was gone, and I'm still coughing from all the ash. We plastered them with mortar fire, but the Russian's secured the Terrorist leader and took him back to their camp, the smaller village, between the Hilltop Bunker and the Rusty Truck. Our attempts to recapture him from them took a bit of time, and a number of attempts. We finally 'allied' with the Terr's to get him back from the Russians.

NATO successfully captured him and returned him to the bunker. NATO's CO was attempting to trade him back to the terrorists for a couple of other objective pieces, when another terrorist tossed a grenade into our midst, 'killing' us all, and he then grabbed the Terrorist CO and ran off with him. I still personally resent that he could just escape with his CO, despite having just personally Killed him. How can you do that with NO penalty at all? And when you say that Every one of our guys is dead, when there were NATO personnel Further away from the grenade blast than your own commander? Foul, I say! But it's alright. No hard feelings, and that WAS terribly sneaky, so props to whoever that was.

My own moral was lagging at this point. I met up with 3 of our younger NATO members from Tyler. We started to head to the village. I got a call from Hunter saying 'for god's sake, hold the hill' so we dashed back. I got Another call, saying 'come back to the village,' so I did. The three guys stayed to attempt a rearguard action. They were eliminated a little later and came back to the village. When I got there, Hunter (the CO) rallied most of the team to go capture someone or something (Radio static). Myself and 4 or 5 others stayed to hold the village, since I KNEW that as soon as we left, we'd need to re-take it again.

The rest of the NATO forces returned shortly thereafter, maybe the got the thing/person/whatever, maybe they didn't. I'm not sure. A frantic search for the money box ensued, since i'd told one of my comrades to hide it, and we had trouble finding HIM for a minute. He showed up, we found it, and orders came to just hold what we had. It was a glorious fight. NATO held the village doggedly against both Russian and Terrorist, slowly giving ground and dying hard.

Our spawn point was close to the middle of the village, apparently one of the OC's didn't want us to move it 20 feet or so... *Rolls eyes* There were some arguments about the engagement into and out of the spawn point area, but most everyone was pretty cool about it. I'd point it out and they'd go "Oh, okay, my bad." I called out both Tan AND NATO on it, since some of the younger guys were blind firing over the fence right by the spawn point. Got that sorted out. Anyways, that last battle of the day was incredibly intense, and with a minimum of bad sportsmanship and name calling (though I was still cursing my gun bitterly :cussing:)

The game ended with a NATO overall victory. I speak on behalf of all the Temple guys when I say that it was great seeing so many people out there, from such far off locations as Corpus Christi and Tyler. It was a good day overall, though with some definite rough patches. I got the impression that some people weren't exactly being... Kosher, shall we say, about things. But I didn't personally witness some of the blatant violations that Trench_Raider did. There was one part where a large number of Tan team were laying in that dip in the ground beside the village, engaging NATO forces both in the village and on their flank. We didn't mean to shoot any wounded, but c'mon. You were lying completely interspersed with your active players who were still engaging. It might have made sense to crawl back out of the line of fire.

I think this op had such great attendance in part because of the price tag. I went to OP Regime of Fear, and it cost me $60. So what, they had more trees at that field. They certainly didn't have nearly as much work put into it, in terms of buildings and military vehicles and props. For a $20 price tag, Kookaburra Hill airsoft field put on a Much better show, for a third the cost. I fail to see why an airsoft game labeled an "OP" has to cost 3 or 4 times as much money as a skirmish, unless it has something truly amazing attached.

I had a great time, and hope to see everyone again soon, slinging BB's. If you ODA guys throw an OP down in Corpus, we're now obligated to come, haha.

Oh, another note. Dave D. said that white non bio BB's are okay. He just doesn't want those pink/red/yellow ones from Walmart polka-dotting his field.

txtrench
01-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks all again for coming.
I will say something about the game and the commanders, and the troops.

Most but not all commanders need to put down there M-4s or what ever and keep a .45 handy and a radio and run the battle space, not there engagement area in front of them. They also need to pull aside the squad leaders and give the squads missions, the squad leaders needed to tell the troops what was going on.
Most but not all the commanders lost sight of that.

Also if you are told to take objective A-B-C and then D that’s what you need to do, not D-A-C-B. It was all interconnected.

But over all I think 90% + of the people had a great time.
Thanks
Dave

Hilt
01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
My experiences were very similar to Trench Raiders, (could be that I was running not more than 50 ft from him most of the time)...
Overall, the morning was a great experience, and we were very pleased with the progress made on the field since the last time we were there. Dave and his volunteer teams (Templars, TAMASO, Waco, etc...) have done a great job of converting this into a much more playable area. I must say I enjoyed myself greatly during the morning play.
I can see the frustration by green (at being out numbered), but they should also note, we got turned upon randomly in the middle of the morning. Kind of a shock to see a tan player suddenly open fire on some Terrorists, when we thought they were allies. A great turn of events though and the terrorists quickly became very paranoid!
The fire was a minor inconvenience. A thought occurred to me about that situation that might be useful in preventing it from reoccurring: once the spring weather rolls around, and we can get a break in between some rain, it might be a good idea to do a controlled burn on this area. This would eliminate the overabundance of dead and highly flammable grass, and would also cause it to come back very thick and green for the rest of the year. It might be a necessary evil every year just to keep it healthy there. I know in this area of Texas there are multiple agricultural agencies that can and will help with this as it tends to increase the fertility of the soil, and the usability of the land overall. Just a thought.
And finally as with Trench Raider, I saw some very questionable practices going on in the afternoon with most being perpetrated repeatedly by the same group. I plan to have a discussion with their team organizers at length when possible. The main occurrence that caused me distress and ultimately ended in me leaving the field early was that of hearing the vast majority of my teammates (I'm not talking 4-5, but rather 10-20 of them) complaining about alleged hit shrugging. Shortly after discussing this with them, I had the unfortunate circumstance of having to witness it. Not shots from my gun, but watching other's BBs bouncing off to the apparent unconcern of the opposing player. I was also "priveleged" to some of the overshooting as well, having been hit and calling VERY loudly (to overcome the wind and guns), I was continuously shot for ~15-20 seconds after calling it. I know there were at least 30 rounds that hit my plate carrier and body after I called it and I had my deadrag on my head. At this same time the event Trench Raider is talking about was occcurring about 15 feet from me. At this point after much yelling at opposing players to cease firing at myself and my team mates, I left with those who had participated with me.

Overall, I am very excited to see a new field up and doing so well. I had a blast slinging BBs, and thought the turnout was excellent. There were some issues that occurred, that could have been dealt with better. I left on a low point, but will be returning for future frolicking as I do not wish to let the actions of a few spoil the fun of many.

Dave, the field looks great, and I hope that your future improvements go as well as the ones already in progress.

Hilt

AustinWolv
01-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I ran wide of the corner and shot both bad guys with my pistol at a range of about 15 feet. (with a very low powered Glock AEP mind you)

That's what sidearms are for and thus why they do not have engagement distance defined, as they are fully intended for use inside of 20 feet. That is also why they are restricted even lower muzzle energy than field weapons.

You were in the right.

If anyone ever has TASO questions, feel free to post them in this subforum (http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158) or merely PM me.

jeremywills
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok.
Here goes.

The good mostly.....

Firstly, hats off to the Temple Airsoft crew and Mr Dave for a overall job well done. Anyone that has ever organized a large game of any kind understands the frustrations involved in effectively keeping 100 or more airsofters moving in the same direction. Sure there were some snags along the way but for the first time to host something big it came off quite well. I'm going to give them a solid A for this.

Gameplay in general was encouraging to provide a target rich enviroment with lots of trigger time opportunities for all sides. This is always a big plus as most folks want to blow through mags as fast as possible. As the Terrorist commander I already knew I'd be in the rear with the gear and not do much shooting. I was hearing lots of reports of folks from all sides running back to the staging area and grabbing more bb's etc.... I hadn't expected such a hard push from the opposition in the Embassy city and I actually got quite a few kills myself during that inital firefight. One objective was for me to stay alive and not be captured by either of the other sides. I had to make use of the medics and respawn points a few times but fortunately during my bleed out times I wasn't captured early on. Forward controllers (embedded staff members assigned to each team) were assigning missions through out the day as the event took place. For the most part I was able to understand what I was being given but there were a few times I wasn't clear. Perhaps it was me or maybe the way it was being presented. I am not too sure on that detail so I'll take the blame that and say it was probably me. Overall though with the exception of the second half of the day which I'll touch on a bit later the objectives and expectations were great. I'm a huge fan of props and quite a few were in use for this event. I'm always happy to see something other than move to contact deathmatch stuff. I'm giving these guys an A + on this one.

Operational rules. Oh boy, this is a tough one. Obviously as already stated by other attendees the majority of us mostly go with the TASO set of rules for most statewide events. I realize there were other airsoft groups in attendance with a slightly different mindset but over all thier rulesets are basically the same. As already stated by another attendee the advertisement postings for this event clearly stated TASO rules apply so I assumed that was the order of the day. No biggie, I can adapt. However the important thing when the safety briefings and the scenario briefings were being given were some folks were not paying attention, talking, and just being quite rude. I did shout out several times for people to shut up and listen and for that I apologize to those that were paying attention but it was warranted.

Later in the day it was obvious some folks hadn't gotten the message when they clearly did things that had been mentioned don't do from the briefings. I had listened and what was being disscussed was clearly defined and easily followed if folks had just paid attention. However, some key elements were not discussed period. Blind firing was not mentioned at all initially and regardless of what camps rules you choose to utilize I know blindfiring is pretty universal as a big NO NO anywhere. The main guy coordinating this event did apologize before the second half and did make it clear not to blind fire but this shouldn't have been forgotten. This was Temple's first big event and my suggestion to them for the next one would be to have a cheatsheet handy next time with a checklist of what you absolutely need to cover so you can make sure all points are covered. I'm giving them a solid A on this one.

In game and briefing staff management. Everyone has to learn from thier mistakes. I know these guys will grow from this experience. Players not paying attention at briefing, asking stupid questions over stuff clearly mentioned etc.... really bogged down the start of the day. Dave the owner did try to keep a tight ship on the schedule and I greatly appreciate that. As already stated in some other comments about this event, airsoft time sucks :( Again, its up to the players themselves each and every one of them to personally call thier shots, listen to the briefings, and be punctual etc.... Unforunatlely game organizers and field owners can't do much about it except to just hope the players do the right thing and remind those that don't. The worst offenders can be asked to leave if they keep repeating it. The whole grenade rule thing was frustrating. Since Dave clearly decided the multiple grenade questions had become a dead horse in the briefing he interupted Spooky, explained it again and made it clearly simple, and finally got us to move on from that subject. That really made me happy. Thank you sir. Even though I'll rant about "dummy" grendades later on.

During gameplay I and a few of my guys took hit shruggage complaints to the embedded staff players and they did discuss via radio amongst themsevles about it whom to watch for. Thats fine and all but there was too much complaing going on to make most of us really wonder if any penalites or warnings were handed out. I'm giving them a solid B plus though as its almost next to impossible to resort to having to ref a milsim game and not turn it into a paintsoft enviroment. Its still up to the players to do the right thing and not be required to be reffed like in a paintball game.

The field itself is very interesting. As it stands right now its mostly grass with little to no cover. There are some old military vehicles out there and the mock town structures that provide good hard cover. There are some really large brush piles and other things scattered about that provided some limited cover. In some ways though this type of terrain is very good. Alot of folks complained about it but it just presents teams with a different challenge on how to setup a skirmish line, concentrate firepower, and leap and bound from way point to way point. There is a way to effectively traverse terrain like that tactically. We tried in the second half to do just that but failed epically. Getting captured didn't help. I'm giving the field a solid A simply because its not finished yet. With the overall scope of what this owner has in mind though once its all in place it will warrant an A plus and then some providing airsoft players along with reenacters a great spot to enjoy thier respective hobbies.

I know I'm not covering all the good points and leaving something things out. Unfortunately theres bad ones as well I want to point out.

Part two continues, next posting.

jeremywills
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
The bad.......

Since I just touched on the fields progress I'll cover the bad with it. I had seen pictures of the types of structures being built and had suggested in my welcome emails to registered terrorists to please bring good boots. The type of terrain looked fairly flat with a few gentle hills but my main concern was for the terrorists not looking military and folks opting out of thier boots. Even terrain like that can cause easily rolled ankles. I mentioned the pictures of the structures. Well my biggest fear came to reality when I saw some piles of scrap wood in the town area full of rusty nails. Thick soled boots help combat the problem of someone putting a nail in thier foot although boots are not nail proof either but a far cry better than regular sneakers. Of course I saw guys diving for what little cover there is out there by using the scrap piles and I'm glad no one landed on a nail. I still feel these should have been cleared away before the start of the first big event.

The second half, alot of the Terrorists downfall was unfortunately due to my being captured. The previous posters have stated we got the short end of the stick as far as start position and other factors beyond our control were at work. Of course the grass fire didn't help the situation either as what little cover we could have had was totally gone. Tall grass can still be quite useful in deflecting bbs but we didn't have any at the target location and no one really wanted to even lay prone on the fresh ash field. We didn't stand a chance. Mother nature screwed us with being positioned against the wind from both forces but this the game organizers can't control. Its just part of going to "war" I suppose.

Hit shruggage was a big issue in this event. As I was being whisked away with the initial capture I felt quite a few bb strikes and theres no way in hell the guy dragging me along didn't get hit either. I guess I was the human shield? Oh well. Its airsoft. I let it go. It was never clearly defined to me if I got hit and captured if I was truthfully dead at that point or if I could try and escape or shoot back. It was explained that I had to do the 2 minute bleed out waiting for a medic to give each side a chance to capture me. I was cool with that as it was in the spirit of the game and objectives. What frustrated me was neither opposing side except one guy at one point thought to disarm me and at some points didn't have even have a physical hand on me. The thought crossed my mind several times to pull a pistol and try to escape my way out but being a good sport I just played along as if I was effectively disarmed. I probably should have attempted it though. I was definately hit multiple times in several locations and even stinger missled during my ping pong ride around the field and should have been really dead by then. Being a milsim game I should have been instructed by the organizers to act wounded, limp or be combatitive towards my captors. They were allowed to run my ass around like I was a world class olympic sprinter with zero injuries. Wheres the milsim in that?

Touching on milsim...... grenades.

Non functional grenade rules are utter crap. Its way too easy for either side to argue whos in the right or wrong with "dummy" grenades. The initial briefing and the 10 extra minutes of useless questions spent on it set the tone for the day. After we suposedly had made it crystal clear the dummy grendae usage when it actually goes into usage on the field it still is iffy at best. Dave simply said if you watched your grenade go in your dead too being in the blast radius area. Also there were "theroetical" roofs on those buildings. That all was clearly covered and yet wasn't heeded. Finally.... it was stated the room everyone was in was dead if the grenade came in and you saw it...... well everyones gonna claim they didn't see it obviously. This just sets you up for trouble. As I stated, its way too easy to abuse the dummy grenades from either sides perspectives.

Example.

We were in the embassy. An exchange was to take place. The Russian contact had already been in there once. No payment was presented. I was told he was going to be back with it. Danger Will Robinson went off in my mind. If he was sincere that payment would have been in the first time. I told everyone pull a pistol. I knew it was gonna get ugly in there. Knock on the door again finally. I cautiously cracked it, saw a few grenades in hands. I pulled the door shut fast as they tried to get em in. Neither one broke the plane of that doorframe. Only one bounced off the doorframe and landed in the dirt just below the doorjam and the plywood I was standing on. Immediately they were saying that was a grenade blah blah blah. It never broke the plane. Sure I saw it, but so did they and by Dave's rule clearly mentioned at the beginning if you saw it your dead. My interpertation though, those guys all out front were toast as well as it never effectively broke the plane of that doorframe. I wasn't in a room that had a live grenade lobbed into it. That thing would have gone off before they had time to bail and should have been at least one or two dead guys within its blast radius had it been the real deal.

So I peeled back into the main room with everyone else. In this building there was an entryway, the main room, and a back room. Again they opened the door and lobbed in another one. Of couse they yelled ok your all dead now to which we replied again that No, there was more than one room in there and we are not in the one you think you just grenaded. Sorry, nice try. Finally a third one came over the wall of the so called "roof" that existed. Again we yelled, nice try but no cigar. Finally I called for my game controller to come over and make a decision on the grenade issues we were having. He never showed up but eventually just said I'm starting the timer for the bomb thing. By this time we know there are a ton of baddies out there that just tried to betray us, probably miffed about the whole grendae mess and we were screwed if we made an exit. We chose to stay in there and just get bombed when it went off and died gloriously.

Had those been functional grenades for airsoft the chances of bb's striking us would have been pretty good. The layout of that room and the usage of a tornado would have been interesting. We wouldn't have stood a chance. BBs would have definately entered the next rooms space and probably bounced off the walls into the third room as well. So IMHO use functional grenades next time. The concept is simple, grenade goes off, any shrapnel that hits a player regardless of the room the device is actually in forces him or her to honor that hit. They call him or herself out and thats the end of it. No arguements. Functional grenades are now available and really not that expensive. A far cry better than OD painted tennis balls. Very much more milsim as well.

From the briefing of grenades to the actual usage of grenades in this event I was very frustrated with the whole dummy grenade thing across the board. Use functional airsoft ones please. It saves time and frustration. Rant off now, time to move on.

Errors from the terrorists side. Personal observations, during my capture and 50 yard dashes my radio went dead silent. The terrorist team seemed to fall apart with no commander and mother nature against them. No big deal, thats war. High value targets are always a must if you get the shot. Still though, in the first half of the day we communicated well, or at least I thought we did. I tried to run them hard early on, perhaps too hard, and people were listening to me. In that second half once I did get back to my guys it just seemed morale had dropped so bad that we never got the momentium and intensity back we had at the start. No one was listening either it seemed. Radio remained silent and I was probably taking to myself at that point.

Dave has suggested that only one of us was a decent commander. I'd love to know exactly whom it was and what he thought of me on that matter good or bad. You are more than welcome to do it privately if you wish. I'm not military and tried my hardest. If I hadn't said I would do it I don't even know going in if we would have had one. That was the vibe I was getting and only why I chose to do it. I would have much rather just been a grunt for this one. Someone had to do it though. With the exception of my guys and some of the Austin crew I didn't know alot of the folks on my squads. The other sides seemed to be comprised of folks that knew each other. One was almost an entire community it seemed. Since we were terrorists I didn't want to get too crazy with a command structure and let my followers do thier own things. My primary concern was to not get captured. Of course I wasn't on the frontlines pistol in hand, that would have been suicide . I still felt we got the shaft at the start of the second half though. Was forced to start off on the frontline with no where to really go and effectively got captured. It almost felt as if that was the intended outcome. Oh well. I think the outcome would have been much different if I had somehow evaded capture and been able to keep my rear in the gear position directing traffic. It didn't happen though and we just simply didn't make lemonade out of lemons. I'll get over it.

I know I've left some points out good and bad but overall the experience for the day left a very good taste in my mouth and I'll definately hit this field up again if they put on another big one.

Sorry for the typos and semi poor grammar. I just had a lot to type right now.

Sincerely.
Jeremy Wills aka Salami.

txtrench
01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Jeremy
Good posting…
1st on grenades I ask everyone that this first game have no active grenades till we could test them in the small buildings, that’s done and now you can use tornados in the buildings. I just needed to test them.

2nd I was listening when you yelled about grenades at the embassy, I was right out side the door and was keeping track of the grenade throws, ask your guys that were covering the door with pistols, they kept shooting at me. 2 grenades missed the door and killed the people throwing them. I called them out. You were being shadowed most of the time by myself and even though you didn’t see me I knew where you were and was keeping track of everything that was going on, I just didn’t want to get in the way and screw up your game play. You saw the hand puppet, and when the guy yelled, “you are all dead” I corrected him by showing him that the “grenade” bounced back and was at his feet, DOH.

3rd I was too harsh on the commanders cpt Z, salami, and hunter did great, the problem was from my standpoint was that when I ask a player what they were doing, I don’t know. What’s the objective, no idea? Where is the command team, don’t know.
Shooting is great but you need to talk to your teams. I agree it was confusing, but any confusion could have been cleared up by simply asking an OC that’s what we were here for. I placed myself at hot points during the day to help move things along for that reason.

4th unsafe shooting, not taking hits. I know that I killed at least 5 people for not taking hits. Someone would come to me and explain the problem; I went to their team (the offenders team) and ask if anyone saw the situation and every time they would say, yea he was out. No problem. I wish more people had used us “Ocs to help resolve the problem other than getting upset and calling it a day early. That’s not good for anyone. I would say that most of the time its not intended, just a misunderstanding.
Again thanks all
Dave

jeremywills
01-25-2010, 11:13 AM
No, thank you. That clears alot of confusion up.

Alot of my frustration was the fact alot of the guys on my particular squad didn't have radios. I was expecting Dirt Diver and Trench Raider to help relay the messages I was giving them. Unfortunately when your all spread out like that and no one has a radio its hard to verbally relay that loudly and either not give someones position away or let the other side know your truthful intentions.

For what its worth, the whole three sided army not trusting one another, the stabbing in the back, making deals on the side etc... was absolutely beautiful. It really kept me on my toes and I know the other two commanders as well. You did say it perfectly, no one was listening to us it seemed through out the day. I was trying to relay the messages as best I could, I was swapping between both assigned radio frequencies through out the day. Our embedded staff member did listen to me and was doing as best he could to give me information. I of course was told at times he wasn't at liberty to say and that was totally ok, I had expected it but figured what the hell, I could try.

Through out the day I did have a third team that was basically a harassment squad that was pretty much doing thier own thing. These perhaps may have been the players you approached about whats going on but no biggie. The guy leading that element had played the field and knew the lay of the land pretty well. He was very insightful at times when I needed advice about the best firelanes or avenue of approach to certain waypoints. That was extremely helpful to me as I had no clue early on in the day exactly what we were walking ourselves into.

I do appreciate the feedback, it will help me reflect what could have been done better and what to avoid for the next time I'm crazy enough to say I'll lead the rabble again. :D

Keep us up to date with the field progress and when someone is planning another big one. The concensus at least from the SA area is they won't hesistate to come back.

txtrench
01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
No problem, glad I could help clear things up.
The Ocs were always around, just didn’t want to muck things up. And just to let you know when you blew the building you also took out about 5 nato troops around the building.

My point about you being the commander, if you are outnumbered 2 to 1 can you afford to have a squad just doing there own thing? Also you may have to break up a team to spread out your assets to make things work (radios). All the teams had plenty of gear It was all up to the commanders to make things work.
Like me the game was a learning experience, and trust me I was worn out after the battle.
Again thanks all I will be building more on the field soon, like a small bunker complex by the truck, and a complex on the other side of the marsh.
Dave

big007crazy
01-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Not sure about other people. But the price had nothing to do with my team coming to this event. I work one week on and one week off. If there is an event which any team member has located on internet or word of mouth and it is at least have 70+ on turnout, we are there. Providing it is not more than 5 hours from the house.....one exception was Reindeer games. Just wanted to put in my two cents.

ODA204
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
The fog of war continues on into the AAR,

OCs made a great different, also "hit shrugging" or cheating as it should be called can happen a couple of ways, intentional or inferred. The high wind did take alot of the "hey I know I hit him" calls, black BBs made it also difficult. As far as the cheating, there wasn't much seen by our guys after they stopped and took into account richochets, black ammo not visible to the shooter, range estimation mistakes, and "hey dude your gun isn't as powerful as you thought."

Concerning guys getting hit, in MILSIM play, when a player takes a hit, he/she needs to lay down rather than stay standing/sitting, get out that dead rag and make it visible. Alot of overkill was caused by players on all sides standing around after getting hit, it wasn't enough to yell out hit when there were over 100 players running around the field. Add in the confusion, noise, excitement, and excellent field, pow don't see red, you get dead again. Casualities laying down adds to the experience.

Not going to beat up the grenade thing, OC 6 made the good call in the first game, and Bad Co accepted it, because it happened just like that, it did not go in, do not confuse frustration vs accusations of foul play. Believe me, Bad Co Tm Ldr beat himself thoroughly the rest of the weekend for that limp wristed throw.:doh:

iLL-1
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
All in all it was a fun day. There were a few hiccups, yes. To be expected out of a first time event. Thanks and kudos to Dave and all of the organizers. The field needs work still, but I know you all are determined to get it right, I'll be back. Thanks to RedDuke, Caliban, and the Temple guys I ran with. Turnout was great, largely in part because of the Corpus faction. Props to them for making the trip. I'll try to make it down for one of your events whenever I can. One point I'd like to address is the lying down when hit thing. That is not common around these parts and had it been pointed out during the morning safety briefing, there probably wouldn't have been a compliance issue. I surely didn't lay down when I got hit, but would have if it was pointed out as a "rule" in the briefing. Until next time.

txtrench
01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks ill-1
Great to see you there.
Now, yes the field will be changing, every month. The normal field rules are if you are hit you move off the field and back to the respawn point to speed up play. But as stated the A&M team was running the OP and that was the rules that were used and I support that. They did a outstanding job. If you want to run a op on the field we will use your OP rules and see if they are any better, they possibly will be and that would be great. If any group wants to rent the field just shoot me a e-mail and we can make it happen. Instead of your team just thinking about a cool OP, come on out and make it happen.
Thanks
Dave

AustinWolv
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Let's alleviate some confusion here about how players around here and around the state signify hits, not to mention statewide and nationwide events that I've run, helped run, and have attended. This is the way we teach it when new players come out locally:

When a person is hit, they yell out 'hit, hit, hit' and they visually signal they are hit, via raising an arm, raising their gun, or standing up. From there, they get their red rag out, put it on their head, and take a seat (if medic rules are in play) on the ground. If medic rules are not in play, they walk off to the deadpool.
When they take that seat on the ground, it is up to them if they want to sit or lay down. There is no necessity to boss players that they have to lay down, but we also make it known they'll continue to get shot during heavy action if they don't get down in the dirt, not because people are purposely targeting them, but because they are in the way.

If a person lays down right away when hit, they will continue to get hit because often the shooter can't tell if the person is just hunkering down in the dirt or is hit, so they'll keep shooting. Thus, we teach that it is imperative to make a visual signal to the shooter, as mentioned above.

A person sitting on the ground or laying down doesn't have anything to do with milsim. Don't talk to people here like it does; many regulars on this site have been playing since airsoft started in this state and have been involved with nationwide events in this state and others. With a dead rag, laying down is actually more likely for someone to keep getting shot since the rag can be easily obscured. That being said, lots of new players and new groups are doing things slightly different from here and there, and thus people pick up their 'understanding' of rules and common field etiquette from whomever is teaching them......and as we recall from the 'telephone' game as a kid, a 'rule' on one end of the line can be understood very differently once it gets passed down the line. It has made ops more difficult in that regard compared to years past when everyone knew each other better and were learning the rules from each other, not off on their own doing whatever.

From the reports that I got from the event, there were a lot of people who didn't know the rules and even though the field owner stated that TASO rules were in effect, some people were off doing their own thing, either because they don't know or understand the rules or because they were just off doing what they wanted.] their way.

As stated before, I'll be happy to help anyone understand them or help with briefings at events as my schedule permits.

ODA204
01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Austinwolf,
I think you misread the intent of my posting concerning the notification of being hit. The way the game was played that day players were told to say hit, sit, place the dead rag on their head, and had the option (strongly encouraged) to cry for a medic. Common sense would have dictated that a player that was wounded would have either lay down during intense action, move to the respawn. Some left their dead rags back in the parking area before the second game.
Being around this hobby also for a long time, I have learned never to assume that everyone knows the rules prior to an event as well.
Hope to see you at the next event.

AustinWolv
01-26-2010, 04:59 PM
With medic rules in play, one would only bother moving to respawn if they knew that there was no way for a medic to get to them or if they had 'bled out' and gone to KIA status. Maybe you meant it a different way, but the way that it read and that the field owner has relayed it to me is this: There was an expectation that the hit players should have moved and just gone to respawn instead of wait for medics because they were in the crossfire. That is hogwash if medic rules were truly in play.

Laying down to avoid heavy fire is common and that is on the hit player if they don't want to lay down, just as it is for shooters to have some trigger discipline and avoid lighting up hit players needlessly. It goes both ways, just like it goes both ways that the hit player can tell if they are stray or targeted rounds versus the shooter seeing that a hit player is just sitting there or if the hit player is playing cover for an alive player behind them.

I have learned never to assume that everyone knows the rules prior to an event as well.
I'm not an 'one-upper', but I do have to go there on this one: In airsoft, people rarely read the rules beforehand, much less understand them. It isn't an assumption, it is a fact. 4 iterations of Night Scorpion, Bulldog, the work the SA guys put into Desert Vanguard II, and so on are pure examples of that. Unfortunately for 'airsoft time', the pre-event briefing always has to occur since people don't pay attention beforehand.
It has been proven time and time again, and no matter how carefully the rules sent out beforehand have been combed over, simplified, stressed, certain important parts highlighted that are imperative for that certain event.......people just don't read them.

jeremywills
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I hadn't initially said in my long winded AAR report but yes, alot of my SA area guys were wondering if the falling players were truthfully hit or just diving for cover on some occasions.

Seeing that there was alot of folks wanting to believe there was a lot of hit shrugging going on out on the field I'm afraid this may have added to the confusion. My apologies if perhaps all the alledged hit shrugging was mistaken. As I stated, I realized there were different camps in attendance on this event and I tried to go with the flow as some things were not our usual "norm".

For what its worth, the days events were mostly positive and it was nice to see various camps come together, enjoy a hobby that we all have alot of time and money tied up in and come away with a good time. Even with thier differences. I think it makes everyone overall the better for it.

I realize my AAR probably came off a bit harsh in spots but thats just me. Anyone that knows me knows I can run off on tangents sometimes but 5 days later I'm like ehh, whatever.

I would like to continue to see more events pop up where everyone can come out and have a good time from all over.

ODA204
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Salami, AARs are excellent tools to get organizations better.

The game was great, a major coup in getting the Texas Teams closer and supporting a new venue.
And it was only $20 bucks to play, something most players can easily afford.

Austinwolf, you are spot on when it comes to stressing the ruleset and scenario prior to a game. One of DCAS's pillars in Corpus always asked the question ,"Does anyone read the scenario?"

AustinWolv
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
One of DCAS's pillars in Corpus always asked the question ,"Does anyone read the scenario?"
Right on, that is funny stuff right there.

Church
01-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Right on, that is funny stuff right there.

I then usually follow that up with a *Facepalm* and a huge sigh.

Really sorry I missed this one guys. But I'm glad that Corpus had a nice contingent on the field.

ODA204
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Helmet cam video from 2d Group, 1st SFAOC.

Alot more of video to come, having these devices mounted on some of our players helmets allows for better AAR input and team self eval.

We have over 3 hours of video from several cams to sift through at the moment and have spotted alot of interesting moments.

Enjoy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNkTWewuqp0

Caliban
01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
ODA204, That was awesome video!! Thanks for posting it. I can't wait to see more!

TheGreatMrPoo
01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Those two players at the end shooting at "the guy" behind the tank was me. Was a very windy day for all of us, I didn't notice that none of my squad was there with me.