PDA

View Full Version : Nightvision and Surefire

Mack4
12-11-2003, 06:56 PM
One question: I was thinking about using a weapon light in tandem with a cheap Gen 1 NV unit. I have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon (60 lumen bulb) and an infrared filter. I was wondering if this light source would be enough to improve the quality of the 1st Gen. unit so that I could actually see people at distances approaching 60 yards; without giving my position away to non NVG users
-Mack

AustinWolv
12-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Sure, you'll be able to pick up movement at 60 yards, assuming there is also decent ambient light out. It is doubtful you'll be able to identify the person however, because Gen1 resolution isn't that great.

Also, I'm not sure that the light's power will be enough to illuminate that far out, as you'll lose some of the energy because of the filter.

Mack4
12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
So, I will be looking at a glowing blob of movement vaguely human shaped?
Do you think this will be enough for scope mounting applications? I have a illuminated reticule scope I was thinking about attaching this NV unit to. What exactly does a person look like through Gen 1? Excuse my ignorance, but does it glow or anything?
-Mack

AustinWolv
12-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Take a look at this link: http://morovision.com/hownightvisionworks.htm

The picture at the bottom is likely Gen3, with a good amount of ambient light.

With a Gen1 device, you won't see a blob.....you'll be able to tell it is a human figure just fine. You just won't be able to ID if it is friend or foe, which can be difficult with even higher Gen units. Humans don't "glow" unless there is IR or regular light upon them. Otherwise, they'll appear to be dark shapes.

Here are some more sample pics: http://www.stano.night-vision.com/html/nvphotogallery.html

You will not be able to mount the NV unit inline with your scope, as the illuminated reticule will be too bright and you won't see anything except a big light spot. However, a NV unit like the PVS-14 can be mounted inline with scopes via a device like the MonoLoc, IIRC.

You can find info on the above through google.

Mack4
12-11-2003, 09:26 PM
So basicly, is it a matter or aligning the monocular?
If I used a regular non-illuminated scope, would I be able to see my reticule?
Would one of these work? http://order.harborfreight.com:9100/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp
Thanks for the links, very helpful.
-Mack

AustinWolv
12-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Mack, your link is broken. The MonoLoc secures the monocular to the scope so that the correct eye relief is used, I believe. I *think* a non-illuminated scope would work, but there may be made for specific models only. I have not done enough research to know off-hand.

For unit/scope compatibility, I'd recommend asking the guys on the forums at usnightvision.com . They have a much more extensive night vision background than I.

Mack4
12-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Yah, that site is wacked up. Thanks for the help, I will go and ask the USnightvision people what they think. I think I can make a good choice now.
-Mack