PDA

View Full Version : Military style telephone set for ICOM, Motorola etc...

jeremywills
10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
http://www.gunnerairsoft.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1824
Title says all. So tempted to try this. I've googled before for information on the real military phone set but came up with hardly any info especially for one thats ICOM compatible. I really wanted to get one because I think they are neat.

This has finally came along and although isn't military grade obviously could be neat in mocking up a mock field radio by hiding a handheld radio inside a dolled up outer housing. Might be useful for a scenario of some sorts requiring a phoned in objective on a unique channel most have no access to. Or having someone run as a dedicated RTO using the "backpack radio" and the rest of the squad without any comms at all. I have several extra ICOM F4s perfect for an application like this.

What do you guys think? Hell, if it works good I'd consider getting another one and trading it out permanently for my current pryme patriot tactical ptt/headset.
Should I give in to temptation and order a couple?

AustinWolv
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Definitely unique. :)

otang
10-16-2009, 09:34 AM
These came out on airsoft news about a year ago and I have been wanting one since then. I saw one at BD4 and now I really want one for a role.

jeremywills
10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I didn't see the guy with the one at Bulldog. I just happened see these become available on Gunner airsoft. Wonder if anyone else has them. With the recent crackdown on ACM stuff I'm thinking it might not be smart to wait much longer.

AustinWolv
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
We saw someone with one (not sure if it was real or replica) at Irene as well.

Mad Irishman
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Very cool! Do you mount it to the front of your rig?

Vert-x
10-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up, been wanting a handset like this one for some time.

DontFearDaReaper
10-16-2009, 09:16 PM
What radio would you recommend to go with this headset?

Dave da radioless at the moment ..

jeremywills
10-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I prefer the ICOM F4. Some like the Sabers. There are pros and cons to using upper end radios. Some feel the Walmart/Academy lower cost FRS types are good enough. Depends on your budget and how serious a radio you wanted. Using the higher wattage types require an FCC license and having it programmed to be compatible with the FRS types. The lower cost ones do not have these requirements. All in all anything is probably better than nothing but don't sweat not having a radio. Sometimes its desirable to not have one when someone just won't shut up on the channel your on.

If you wanted something kinda neat and with this style of military telephone handset

http://www.toysoldier.com.hk/product_details.php?pid=113

Its not on par with our ICOMs but it sure looks cool. If I didn't have a few ICOMs I'd probably get something like that. There are several versions, you would have to research which frequency range is the appropiate one for the FRS/GMRS bands we use. Off hand I can't remember. I'd venture to guess its probably on par with the FRS types performance wise. If you're going to spend a decent amount of money though investing in a serious radio is good for the long haul. Used ICOMs can be found on ebay, craigslist etc... and there are players in the community that can program it for you.

Sorry for getting off the original topic here. This is still probably cheaper and easier to go with one of these china knockoffs instead of sourcing a real H-250 set and retrofitting it for an ICOM, Motorola etc... as the real one uses the 5 pin Nato standard connector. Also not sure if the impediance of the microphone would match or not.

AustinWolv
10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
What radio would you recommend to go with this headset?
Dave da radioless at the moment ..
ICOM. Plenty of topics on which model to seek floating around the forums as well.

PITT
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Couple of the guys up here have them. They were all about them at first but now use them more for an Admin tool. They have told me it takes more time to pull it off of your rig and use it than to just use an Pryme, Otto, or something similar. As far as setting it up as a stationary device I think thats a great idea. There was a guy that had them with a box setup like the old field phone. I'll try to find the link and post it up. Ill also get one of the guys to put his good and bad about it up.

jeremywills
10-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Thank you sir, this is exactly the information I seek. I probably won't replace my current pryme set after all but using these in a mock field radio setup for some scenarios yes, I am interested if they say the quality is semi decent. Thanks again.

AustinWolv
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Speaking of radio replicas: http://hscairsoft.com/drupal/node/3

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss109/hscairsoft/bc1000.jpg
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss109/hscairsoft/bc6111b.jpg

DontFearDaReaper
10-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Speaking of radio replicas: http://hscairsoft.com/drupal/node/3

Gahhhh!!! I am sooooo tempted but then I remembered that the RTO was a prime target in a firefight :cool: plus nobody wears old OD green fatigues but me AFAIK....

Dave

otang
10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Couple of the guys up here have them. They were all about them at first but now use them more for an Admin tool.

That's pretty much what I will use it for, or for role playing.

HammerHead
11-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I received mine tonight, packaged as if it were going to pass through the apocalypse ;) There's not much to it, really, it's the handset I expected to receive and it works handily with my ICOM. It doesn't feel necessarily as sturdy as the real HS-250 I have here, but it does feel like it will hold up to what I would put it through in airsoft. I don't know, honestly, how long it took to fulfill this delivery, though it was at least 3 weeks, perhaps 4. Either way, I'm pleased to finally have a functioning HS-250 for my kit.