PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Velocity?

Mack4
12-05-2003, 01:44 AM
My dad is an engineer, and the other night when we were talking about my new sniper rifle, and I mentioned the sometimes erratic flight path of my bb he mentioned something about Terminal Velocity, which he suggested might have a hand in this problem. From what I understand there is a maximum velocity for a projectile to still travel though non turbulent flow, and when that velocity is increased passed non turbulent flow the projectile becomes erratic. So I was thinking that perhaps there Is a Terminal Velocity for Airsoft bbs, and I was wondering if anyone had found it? The reason I am posting this on the sniper forum is that I believe that the Sniper FPS are the only ones coming close to Terminal Velocity with the .6 bb. Any input would be appreciated, again if I were mistaken about something to do with Terminal Velocity please correct me and remember I am not an engineer.
-Mack

Agrovale
12-05-2003, 09:05 AM
As I understand it, terminal velocity by definition, only applies to a falling object. When an object is falling it has two forces acting on it: gravity and drag. Terminal velocity occurs when the upward drag cancels out the downward gravity, and the object stops accelerating.

When you say your BBs fly erratically, do you mean they shift left, right, up, and down in flight? Or that they fly pretty much straight and just hit in different locations?

Air currents have a big effect on BBs, and during long shots I can watch my BBs float left, then come back right, all kinds of crazy stuff. Since we are using such light projectiles, it's just an issue we have to deal with.

Obsidian
12-05-2003, 09:45 AM
The bbs and your barrel are also not perfect which contribute to the overall range.

.6bb? No such thing to my knowledge.

Dragon
12-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Now, if they could dimple the BB's like golf balls are those little retarded pieces of plastic would straighten up quite a bit in flight.

Jono
12-05-2003, 10:16 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800223006

That link will answer all your questions about "TERMINAL VELOCITY" ;)

BeRad
12-05-2003, 02:33 PM
good one a-Velv. ;) :D

Mack4
12-05-2003, 05:00 PM
1. Pardon me 6 MM bb.
2. Wouldn't dimpled bb's break what little seal there is in the airsoft barrel, causing the gun to lose velocity?
3.Yah it does have to do with falling objects, forgot that little tid bit...
But anyways, is there an ideal FPS to shoot .36's and .43's?
Thanks for the imput.
Mack

Dragon
12-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Mack4

2. Wouldn't dimpled bb's break what little seal there is in the airsoft barrel, causing the gun to lose velocity?

But anyways, is there an ideal FPS to shoot .36's and .43's?
Thanks for the imput.
Mack

2. Probably. But if the dimples on a 6mm BB were to scale of a golf balls dimples then you might not loose much at all but the dimples would probably would be to small to affect the BB being fired.

Why golf balls are dimpled. Also the inherant problem of having the dimples on the ball.

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/DIMPLES.HTM

"Ideal FPS to shoot .36's and .43's?"

Short answer -

Look at the TASO rules and don't exceed them. Seriously, they WERE thought out by experienced players.

Long answer -

That is a pretty broad question. Depending on what you crono with will affect FPS.
A .2 round will crono higher than a .36 but the .36 will be more of a straight shooter and the distance will fall off quicker cause it's a heavier round. The .2 fill float and wobble around in flight. The FPS will decrease cause you shooting a .36, etc, etc, etc...

Balistics is a biznatch that way...